Friday, December 11, 2020

QBP #161 - All-Star Comics 63

Quarter-Bin Podcast #161

All-Star Comics 63, DC Comics, cover-dated November - December 1976.

"The Death of Doctor Fate," by Paul Levitz, with art by Keith Giffen & Wally Wood. 

What happens when Professor Alan tackles a book from the heart of the 1970s? And how does he feel about the heroes of Earth-2? Who dies? Who retires? Who almost kills a teammate?

Listen to the and find out!

 Click on the player below to listen to the episode:

 

Right-click to download episode directly

You may also subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or the RSS Feed. 

Promo: Robin's 80th Anniversary Specials

Next Episode: The Ray #20, DC Comics, cover-dated January 1996.

Send e-mail feedback to relativelygeeky@gmail.com 

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/relativelygeeky
You can follow the network on Twitter @Relatively_Geek and the host @ProfessorAlan

Source: World's Greatest Comics


2 comments:

  1. Cheers for another fine episode, I especially like the ones when I read the original comic, as is the case here. The rest of the time, I rely on your natural wit, Professor Alan, and you haven’t let me down yet.

    Now, don’t go accusing me of knowing loads about Monty Python. I have seen the Beans sketch. I have been to, and enjoyed, Spamalot. I have endured a dinner at which two visiting Americans spent hours quoting sketches from ‘your Mon-tee Py-thon’ at me. I’ve never found them funny (The Goodies, on the other hand...).

    But everyone knows that theme tune. Everyone! It’s ever so jolly. Well done Mr Souza.

    I like that DC went back to the All-Star Comics numbering and treated it as if All-Star Western hadn’t nicked the serial numbers... no collector is going to be confused, there was simply one run of JSA books separated by a long break. The confusion is attached to All Star Western... where were the first 57 issues?

    I see your point about the little figures above the unnecessary Super Squad logo being a tad clutter-some, but aren’t they cute?

    I like the Zanadu design, apart from the car mat loincloth. And how refreshing to be reminded that Power Girl was originally not so zoftig, as she became under Wood’s hand.

    Plus, two separate villain plotlines in a 17-page story? Well done, Mr Levitz! The only real off-note for me was Hawkman’s hissy fit about their having been unable to find the missing Shiera Hall (‘I’m not sure we’re even men!’) and Superman’s subsequent musing on the nature of heroism... it all felt like forced dramatics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the renumbering / renaming.

      It really was a good issues. Thanks for listening, and for feeding back.

      Delete