Thursday, May 11, 2023

QBP #192 - Shazam! 26!

Quarter-Bin Podcast #192

Shazam! 26, DC Comics, cover-dated December 1976

"The Case of the Kidnapped Congress," by E. Nelson Bridwell, with art by Kurt Schaffenberger.

What happens when Professor Alan has the option of rescuing Congress from the distant past? Does he save the politicians, or does he just let nature take its course? Or does Captain Marvel get involved in this situation?

Listen to the episode and find out! 

Click on the player below to listen to the episode:


 

Right-click to download episode directly

You may also subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or the RSS Feed. 

Promo: Comic Book Time Machine

Next Episode: Free Comic Book Day 2023!

Send e-mail feedback to relativelygeeky@gmail.com 

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/relativelygeeky

You can follow the network on Twitter @Relatively_Geek and the host @ProfessorAlan

Source: World's Greatest Comics

4 comments:

  1. The rare quarter box fail!

    There is no doubt this was a soft reboot pushing the book more into alignment with the television show. "Mentor" Uncle Dudley driving around the country with Billy who can talk directly to the Elders. That is the show! I suppose if you are hoping viewers will buy the comic you try to align. It doesn't always work!

    I do remember Clue Club, a definite Scooby Doo rip-off with a group of teens and some anthropomorphed dogs solving crimes. If I recall, there were 2 dogs, one who wore a deerstalker cap like Sherlock and talked of his investigating prowess while not having such skills and another who just got the job done quietly.

    And I did enjoy the Tarzan cartoon quite a lot and stuck with it when Lone Ranger and Zorro were added to that block of shows. Definitely a favorite of mine.

    Hope next month goes better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for filling in my blanks regarding Saturday morning cartoons that flew under my radar and over my head!

      Once I finish Archie Weird Mysteries, I may seek out that Tarzan show.

      Delete
  2. I'm a listener who rarely has a lot to say, but your question about Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle in the latest QBP made me reach for my keyboard. Like Anj, I encourage you to check out that cartoon. I was a huge fan at the time and remember it fondly, so I got the first season DVD from Amazon and was pleasantly surprised that it holds up.

    It's still a kids cartoon, make no mistake about that, but if you are a fan of ERB's Tarzan, you'll probably find this enjoyable. It features Pellucidar and Opar and giants and tiny people and lost civilizations and other ERB mainstays as well as an intelligent, conversant Tarzan. It's not perfect, but it's very good (and might be perfect if you're an 6 year old in 1976 like I was).

    Incidentally, I've spent a couple of years in Thailand (as an adult) and am familiar with the British Embassy location and what I presume is the same field that you discussed in the episode. Sometimes it is indeed a small world. Krap khun kap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sawadee kap.

      Good to hear from you.

      Yes, of all the many "takes" that are out there for Tarzan, the ones that are closer to ERB tend to be the ones I prefer. I don't like smart Hulk, and similarly I don't like dumb Tarzan.

      Delete