Monday, September 25, 2017

QBP #108 - Marvel Team-up 144

Quarter-Bin Podcast #108

Marvel Team-Up 144, Marvel Comics, cover-dated August 1984.

"My Sword I Lay Down," by Cary Burkett, with art by Greg LaRocque and Mike Esposito.

Two super-heroes, four secret identities, and old friend combine in this dramatic story. What happens when an old friend of Peter Parker finds himself caught in a Chinatown gang war? Can ihs old buddy and special guest star Moon Knight save the day and ease tensions in the community? 

Listen to the episode and find out!

Click on the player below to listen to the episode:



Right-click to download episode directly

You may also subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or the RSS Feed.

Promo: Avengers Spotlight

Next Episode: Marvel Comics Megazine #1 , Marvel Comics, cover-dated October 1994.

Send e-mail feedback to relativelygeeky@gmail.com 

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/relativelygeeky
You can follow the network on Twitter @Relatively_Geek and the host @ProfessorAlan

Source: Half Price Books

4 comments:

  1. Interesting issue. I am a sucker for the old-school team-up books as they opened up the larger universes to me as an early reader. So I love finding them in the cheap bins.

    As for the themes of violence and nonviolence, it is a good thing to think about. I loved these thought-provoking stories as a kid because ... well ... I would think about stuff after. Nowadays, when comics are an escape from thinking about stuff and because current creators tend to be more preachy and one-sided in their approach to heavy topics, I grow weary. I don't need to be preached to.

    I do find Spidey's complete inability to comprehend nonviolence interesting. With great power comes great responsibility, true. But maybe the responsibility is to not use that great power. While for me, Philip thrashing the White Dragon makes sense, perhaps to him the greater good would be to not resort to violence.

    Good stuff and good commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting take on responsibility, and also on preachy comics. And team-ups from this era are also plucked from quarter-bins, if I see them.

      I wonder if nowadays the theme would also be "Peter, you can't judge Philip."

      Delete
  2. Little late on my feedback for this one, but another great episode!!

    Growing up, Marvel Team-Up was my Spider-Man book of choice! Loved this series (as I professed on the first episode of FW TEAM-UP)!! And this specific issue was one of my first. While I don't recall the details specifically, your recap sort of reminded me this wasn't my favorite issue (compared to the contemporary team-ups featuring Daredevil, Black Widow, and others). Didn't hate it, but it wasn't one I chose to re-read often.

    Your love of Moon Knight is known far and wide (could you imagine a Moon Knight / Doctor Doom team-up! Yikes). I've tried several of his various series, but beyond great art, it's never grabbed me. While I may praise your support of Doom 2099, can't back you up here pal. Though I can respect your decision. After all, I live in a Firestorm-tinted glass house.

    Finally, did someone mention SAD SACK!!!! I realize this doesn't really fit the funny books you were considering covering, but DUDE!!! It's SAD SACK! My favorite funny book of all time! In fact, I've been reacquiring old issues whenever I find them in the cheap bins.

    Thanks again for another great episode!! Would love to hear more MTU talk if they are in the database!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, buddy. You know, if you hadn't hung out that day with Clinton R, you'd be caught up on the episodes by now ...

      I mean, yes, there are more MTU issues in the database, along with two-in-ones and other similar team-ups.

      I only skimmed this response of yours, but no, I don't think there has ever been a Doctor Doom / Sad Sack team up. Is that what you asked?

      Delete